Simple smile improvements are often the most noticed and for all the right reasons. For example, something as easily achieved as teeth whitening can make an enormous difference to a dull and lifeless smile.
Many seek this treatment purely to gain extra confidence when they smile. Others may want to undertake this treatment for a special occasion such as a wedding or reunion. Whatever the case may be, tooth whitening is a safe and successful way to improve your smile. Tooth Whitening or bleaching is also a process utilized for lightening the color of teeth that have not responded well to professional cleaning. The general process involves the application of a bleaching agent onto a tooth surface. Most bleaching agents are comprised of a Hydrogen Peroxide formula. Depending on the system chosen by your dentist, the strengths of the bleaching agents may vary.
Some general advantages of whitening / bleaching:
- Bleaching is ideal for undamaged teeth that need lightening in color. (As opposed to crowns, veneers or facings)
- Custom made trays can be used again at a later stage
- Upper and lower teeth can be treated at the same time from one procedure
- Approved tooth whitening products are safe to use
Some disadvantages of whitening / bleaching:
- Not all teeth respond well to bleaching. For example, yellow, brown and orange stained teeth usually respond well to bleaching. However, grey stains may lighten a little, but results may not be as good
- White composite restorations do not get affected by the bleaching process and may need to be replaced after the process in order to achieve a nice aesthetic result.
- If the bleaching agent has a prolonged contact with the gums it can lead to irritation and burning
- Bleaching should be done in a controlled setting. Some store bought whitening systems can be very strong and can damage teeth over a long-term period. We do not recommend such treatments
- Bleaching may not be suitable for people with: pre-existing sensitive teeth, cracked teeth, worn teeth, receding gums or periodontal disease
In general, it is important to see a dentist before commencing any form of teeth whitening. There may be specific considerations that need to be taken in regards to your teeth. If you have ever wanted to whiten or even thought about whitening, it would be best to give us a call at KR Dental and organize a consultation.
KR Dental News
Educational Kindergarten Visit
Recently Dr Miller and his Dental Assistant Nadia also made a special visit to our local Florence Kindergarten and then at a later date Dr Miller and Dental Assistant Becky also visited the Sesame Lane Kindergarten where they had a great time teaching the Kindy kids about good Oral Health and the importance of a good Oral Hygiene routine. At the end of their special demonstrations all the kids received a Dental Health pack with lots of goodies inside.
Fun was had by all!Read More
Colouring In Competition Winners!!
We would like to congratulate our special Colouring in Competition Winners, well done to everyone who entered, the competition was tough and everyone who entered did a wonderful job!Read More
Our Team here at KR Dental has recently participated in our refresher First Aid Course, this was a great opportunity for our team to update and further our skills together - a fun Day was had by all, followed by a fabulous dinner out together at Pilpel – Suttons Beach.Read More